Friday, February 22, 2008

Thats MISS Jillz to You!




I love that song. It features the lovely lady that is featured in this article!!


Another exclusive...
This time it's an upcoming music artist that is a one woman movement. I won't even name everything she does. SHE DOES IT ALL!!!
Also, me and her used to be classmates at art school. *smiles*
Her name is Miss Jillz and she is coming to a radio/tv/runway/stage near you!!!
They say big things come in small packages...but they werent kidding!!

Here's our interview:

What name do you prefer to go by?
Well, my friends and [associates] know me by Jillz but I prefer Miss Jillz, *laughs*.

For people that haven't heard of you, let them know what it is that you do.
For those who are ignorant of my well-being.. just kidding! *Laughs* Let's see, I would consider myself an all around artist. I'm a dancer, designer (graphic or fashion), female MC, and photographer. And to put it all in a nutshell, I like to exercise all of my talents so you never find me doing just one thing. I'm currently working on my image and my sound as a female MC. So, basically from this point on out I'm gonna be grindin! That includes making connections, networking, doing various showcases to get my name out there, trying to figure out who can i get to do this and that for me without that much of a cost, etc. HOWEVER! I'm not gonna be stingy with mine when it comes to dispersing compensation. When I get paid, you get paid.

Whats your hometown?
"Is DC in the house?! WITHOUT A DOUBT!!" as Wale puts it. *laughs* The Southside (of DC) to be exact.

Describe your personal style of dress.

Hmmm.. I would describe my personal style of dress as sophisticated, up-to-date, trendy, and influential. I don't consider my style as girly-girly but rather as grown and sexy. Most of the time, if not all, you see me stylin in some stillettos. The only time you would see me in some sneakers is if I'm going to dance practice. *laughs* Also, I'm what you call a fashion follower. Now, that I started taking these classes at school for my major Fashion Merchandising I know the appropriate term, lol. A lot of people probably wouldn't want to be labeled as a fashion follower, but put it like this: If you consider a style someone is portraying as hot, and you try to pull off something similar if not the same and add your little twist to it, then you my friend are a fashion follower.

Describe your music
My music, compared to a lot of what I hear today, has more substance. I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy listenin to some up-beat song with simple lyrics.. when I'm in the club or dance freestlyin in the privacy of my own home. And I remember one day I heard Lupe being asked what he thought of the present hiphop community and he was like he doesn't really have any animosity towards it, he just thinks hiphop as a variety of flavors. After hearin that I kind of had a change of heart of my thoughts on the present hiphop I'm hearing. I think my music is in some coherence with that of Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, and Eve. Those three influence me the most. My sound is sassiness meshed with intellect. My genre of music is hip-hop and rap.

What song can you listen to 20 times in a row without getting tired?
Ooh.. that's kind of a hard question. Well, not really. Who I have been listening to the most over these past couple of months are Chrisette Michele and Lupe Fiasco. Especially Lupe Fiasco! The man's a genius! And so is Kanye, don't ge me wrong. It's just that when Lupe performed at my homecoming concert a month back I grew more in love with his work. But back to the song, I would probably have to say "Hip Hop Saved My Life", simply because it truly has! "Little Weapon" would probably come next and then "Gold Watch". *laughs* I could go on and on.

What (fashion) trend are you tired of seeing?
Actually, I don't really have a fashion trend I'm tired of seeing at the moment. My friend told me the other day she was tired of seeing skinny jeans because that's basically what everybody wears down here at VCU. At first the retro 80s look was annoying me but now I LOVE IT! I only love fashion trends when they're done right and that's what I'm starting to see. My favorite aspect is the high-top fade. I used to wish that I could be in those 80s movies produced by Spike Lee or the movie House Party and now it kind of seems like I'm living in one, lol. I just purchased my pair of acid wash jeans from Urban Outfitters not too long ago.

What recording artist do you think should step their game up (as far as lyrically)?

*Laughs* Good question. I'm not really here to burst anyone's bubble or blow anyone's high, but Souljah Boy really needs to come with something better than "Yah Trick!". Come on, are you serious? My roommate is in love with that song. I've only heard his mainstream songs, though, so he may be coming with somethin on some tracks I have yet to hear.

In your closet right now, what's your favorite item of clothing?
Let's see.. my favorite item of clothing would have to be my designer jeans. I know they're really not considered one item of clothing but who cares! The ones that I have are True Religions, Robin's Jeans, Nudie Jeans, and Citizens of Humanity. I'm working on those R&R's and Seven's. My jeans, though are indeed my favorite. Yes, I like showing my gorgeous legs but I also like to show that I have expensive taste.

Whats an accesory would you never leave home without?
Excluding my heels, *laughs*, I would probably never leave the house without a big, duffle sized purse or a chic or eccentric neck scarf. I think scarves are the PERFECT accessory. They can play up any outfit in my opinion.

Who's style of dress do you most admire?
Kelis across the board. That is my GIRL!! She really dares to be different and pulls it off so fabulously!

Who are your favorite fashion icons, past and present?
I don't really have a favorite fashion icon, besides Kelis, because some days they hook it up and I'm feelin it and the other days they just wing it.. and you can tell.

What do you like to wear when performing?
I haven't really had a chance to really perform but I would probably have on something comfortable and sexy. I like wearing low-cut blouses that are breathable but not too loose so that I won't have a wardrobe malfunction. I'd probably be showing my legs as well. Since I consider myself [that glamorous female of hiphop] I'd probably have on my feet.. you guessed it.. heels! And yes, that includes dancing in them.

If you could switch lives for a day with any celebrity, who would it be?
I don't really know. If I had to make a choice it would be Kanye West because it seems like he's pretty much living the life. Everybody askin him to get on a track with them, goin on shoppin sprees overseas, basically livin the good life.

Have you ever had a wardrobe malfunction in public? If so, what did you do about it?
I've never had a wardrobe malfunction however there have been times when my heel would get stuck either between a crack in a sidewalk or one of those sewer thingys, laughs. How embarrassing! And when that does happen I usually just laugh it off and think of that movie J.Lo was in, I think it was the Wedding Planner.

What do you think of tattoos? Do you have any, and if so where and what do they mean?
I LOVE EM!! Sometimes people go overboard, though. No offense to anyone but I would NEVER get my face tattooed. That's just too much. I have three of them myself. One on my right ankle, my second tat, which is a shooting star, is nice and small. It's somewhat of a self-representation. I'm just a little shooting star trying to find my place in the universe. I have one on my left wrist, my third tat, that says "Faith" in script. It just reminds me of what I need to do in order to get through all these trials and tribulations in life.. just too simply have faith. And I have one on my lower back, my 1st tat, that says "Baile", which means dance in spanish, that has a rose underneath it. I think that one is pretty self-explanatory.

What do you usually wear to bed?
I wear whatever feels comfortable. Be it some oversized flannel plants with a wife beater or some boy shorts with an oversized shirt. I'm not trying to look sexy for anyone in my dreams.

What are three things most people don't know about you?
1. I'm sweet
2. I'm the youngest of 10 children
3. I'm a Capricorn and I like long walks on the beach, *laughs*, just kidding. I get nervous and a but self-conscience before going on stage.

Finish this sentence. I wont leave the house if I'm not wearing __________
Make-up, even if it's not a lot. A lady likes to enhance her beauty.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Touring the nation and overseas, having brunch with the biggest stars, going on shoppin sprees and treating my loved ones, doing a lot of collaborations with several artists.

Finish this sentence. Before I'm 50 ______I want to ...
MAKE HISTORY IN THE HIPHOP INDUSTRY!!! And havin fun while in the process.


Expect big things from her.
Also, add her on myspace!!
Go to http://www.myspace.com/missjillz or click here!

Kisses and couture!
-Icy

No comments: